Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Merry Christmas 2014

Over a month late but finally getting around to documenting our first Christmas in Texas with the Hantla family.  Gran and Papaw flew into town Christmas Eve and we had lunch at the Empanada House.  Everyone enjoyed lunch and then we picked up Lorenzo before going to the Christmas Eve service at Sugar Creek.  Although we haven't joined, we consider Sugar Creek our home church now and have plans to join soon.  Before the service started, there was a live nativity
and music in the foyer.  The candlelit service was great and there was an interactive story for the children too. The programs were even kid friendly with a secret code for them to find while watching the videos throughout the service.  Christmas Even dinner was a spaghetti dinner at our house.  I volunteered to host this dinner since I knew Christmas dinner would be at at the Marsh house and this was a chance to have everyone at our new house. I made crock-pot sauce and we had salad and cookies for dessert.  I think everyone had a good time, at least I know I did.  We enjoyed the family over very much.  After the "Hantla's" left, Uncle Ren gave us Christmas gifts which we totally didn't expect.  His gifts were so thoughtful and the kids were very excited.  We didn't have anything for him and we felt bad about that :( Uncle Ren gave Rin a purse that she could color and decorate, Abe got walkie-talkies, Wes got hot-wheels, and Ell got a sponge-bob stuffed toy.  Even B and I received a gift and it was so thoughtful of him.  We put the kids to bed and watched Christmas Vacation before heading to bed. 


Christmas morning was very laid back B made Christmas pancakes for us on his new griddle and read the Christmas story from Luke to us.  We opened gifts as a family one at a time, thinking about the person it was from and trying to make sure we emphasized the thoughts behind gift giving and not the gift itself.  Sometimes it's hard to do with kids, but it's important to us that we encourage (make) our kids say thank you and they understand who the gift is from.  It's bothersome to me that kids will open tons of gifts Christmas morning and think they are all from Santa or all from their parents....or even worse, not care who they are from.  I was tempted to make our kids write Thank-You notes for their gifts but decided against that for this year.  After gifts, I cooked a little food to take to Katy, and B played with the kids.  We left our house around noon for Katy, TX.  E got a little nap in the car, but that was the only rest time for our bunch.  We ate Christmas dinner around 3 (I think) and we had a yummy ham, mash potatoes, sweet potato casserole, and mushroom casserole with dinner rolls and sparkling grape juice.  I ate so much food! After dinner and clean up, we walked to the little playground down the street to get out of the house and started a 2-hand touch football game.  I would love for this to be a yearly tradition because it was a lot of fun.  After it started getting dark, and cold, we went back to the Marsh house for more food and  NFL football on TV.  I think we put the kids in bed around 9:00 which is pretty good for all the excitement of Christmas Day.





Friday morning after breakfast, I went to HEB with Paul M to pick up a few items and the plan was to head to the Houston Zoo.  Instead of cousins exchanging gifts this year, we suggested to gift experiences and time.  So we talked about going to NASA, seeing a Movie, going to Jumpstreet, or going to the Zoo.  The zoo ultimately won and we needed food to make lunches.  Well the weather didn't cooperate so instead of going to the zoo, we decided to watch a movie together.  Most of the family went to see Annie and a few of the boys saw the Penguins of Madagascar.  I think everyone had a good time and I really liked the movie.  R liked it too and asked to see the original Annie.  After the movie, we headed home for dinner and more play time before our family packed up and headed back to Alief.  Saturday morning was normal for us with a YMCA visit and grocery shopping.  We headed to Katy dressed and ready for our family picture.  Since the entire "Hantla" family was together for the first time in over 5 years, it was time to document this with a picture.  The siblings pitched in and paid for a professional photographer and he came to Anna's house for the picture.  We all dressed in blues, greys, and tans with a little splash of purple (and pink too).  I think they turned out really nice.  Of course Gran and Papaw were thrilled with their Christmas gift and are showing their family off to all their customers at the shop.

 After the photo session, we cooked dinner and the kids went for a dip in the pool before we headed home again.  Sunday we went to our church at 9:30 and then met the kids for lunch at Jimmy Changas.  It's become one of our favorite restaurants around here. After the family lunch,  we played at Jumpstreet for 2 hours.  Jumpstreet is a bunch of inflatables and trampoline type things.  Our 4 kids stayed all in the little kid section for 7 years and under.  It made it very easy to keep up with them.  B and the dad's got a little dodgeball action going and played with the big cousins.  While kids and dad's played, I went shopping with my Christmas money from Gran and bought a new pair of jeans.  I found some that fit from American Eagle and it's been years since I've shopped at a store like that....like for young people.  I had to ask Mandy and Anna if the jeans looked silly on me because I felt like they were 'too young' looking.  They assured me that I looked fine.  I was very excited about my purchase.  After leaving Jumpstreet, I don't remember what we ate for dinner, except it was at the Marsh house.  I don't really remember much else about the holidays and I guess I shouldn't have waited so long to write about it. 

Matthew 1:21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."



No comments:

Post a Comment