Thursday, September 7, 2017

Wesley's 6th birthday

I know I've mentioned it before, but we only celebrate BIG for our kids birthdays when they turn a multiple of 5.  W had a party last year so this year he was only going to get a small family celebration.

W's birthday was on a Saturday so I let him pick the entire menu for the day.  He decided on cereal for breakfast, oven pizza & mac and cheese for lunch, and dinner was mini-corn dogs and fruit.  We had a normal Saturday and then at night, we went to the Movie under the Moon in Sugar Land Town Center.  The movie they showed was Sing (which we've already seen), but it was a fun time anyways.  W invited his friend from school, Christian, and then the March cousins as well as JuJo and the Livingston's.  I made sure to let everyone know it wasn't a party and they didn't need to bring gifts, but of course some did anyways.  I brought a cookie cake and a cooler with water and juice boxes for everybody.  We even sang Happy Birthday to W before the movie started.  W said he had a great day and loved his birthday even though he didn't have a big party.  








I also tell the kids their birth story on their birthday and I usually read it from my blog so I'll remember all the details.  For some reason I cannot find Wesley's birth story written down so I'll try now to recount the story in detail. 


May 5 (Cinco de Mayo) was a Thursday and I taught a normal day at school.  SEBTS was having a family night with free food and inflatables, so we planned to attend like we would normally.  We got our food and ate hotdogs in the quad and I noticed that I was having some contractions.  I had been having contractions for a few days but I was 39 weeks so it was normal.  After eating, we took R & A to the inflatables so they could play.  R climbed in easy because she was tall enough, but A couldn't climb into the hole.  I tried to bend down to pick A up, but I had a big contraction at the same time and I couldn't move.  A nearby man saw me struggling, so he helped get A into the inflatable and once I could walk, I found B (he had followed R through the course) and told him what had just happened.  We decided it would be best to go home so I could lie down and see if the contractions stopped or not.  We got home and I rested while B gave R & A bath.  When I realized the contractions were not stopping, I called Brian and Jojo to let them know.  We had already asked them to take care of R & A when we went to the hospital for Wesley's birth.  They had just sat down at a Mexican place (since it was Cinco de Mayo) but hadn't ordered yet.  They came over to get the kids and at this point, it was probably 8:30 pm.  We grabbed our "go bag" and drove to the hospital.  We arrived shortly after 9pm and my contractions were pretty close.  We didn't make any calls because we weren't sure if it was going to happen quickly.  I did call Sheree so she could find me a sub for school for the next day.  After checking in to the hospital and getting in a room, the nurse checked me and said that I was about 6 cm dilated.  They broke my water quickly and things progressed like normal.  I was thinking I might have a Cinco baby, but as the close approached midnight, I knew that was not going to happen.  Shortly after 12:30, it was time to push.  Dr. Moore was the doctor at the hospital and she told me to check my modesty at the door.  She's really funny and I always tried to make my appoints with her while pregnant.  W's head came out and we thought the rest of him would come out like R & A were born.  W's shoulders were too wide and he was stuck.  I knew something was wrong and then I had some pain, so I arched my back which made things difficult.  The nurse had to climb on top of me to get me back down and she started pushing on my belly to help push W out.  During all this commotion, I somehow ripped my IV out and blood shot out and squirted B and me. It's all sort of a blur 6 years later but I remember the craziness inside that room.  Dr. Moore had to twist W's head and wiggle him out.  He had shoulder dystocia and was bruised.  He was also big and healthy weighing 9 lbs 5 oz.  He looked a lot like R when she was a newborn.  His birth time was 1:03 am Friday May 6th.  We only stayed in the hospital 1 night because we were anxious to get back home to the family.  R & A were very excited to be big sister (again) and big brother.  Our W is tough and everyone says he looks just like B (same body type and face).  His delivery and birth are by far the most traumatic for me, but I wouldn't change anything because he was safe and healthy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment