Thursday, June 11, 2015

First Grade Field Trip-Zoo




In Alief ISD, all the elementary schools are allowed 1 field trip per grade level free of charge for students.  I was excited to hear that the first grade at Chambers always goes to the zoo and I would have a chance to be a chaperone for R's class.  The field trip was on Monday, March 23rd and we had to be at school at 8:00 for an 8:30 departure.  I had a group of girls : Rin, Michelle, Navaeh, and Aisha.  Sara was supposed to be with us, but she didn't come to school.  We were sad about that.  R sat with her friends on the way to the zoo so I sat alone and chatted with Ms. Rodriguez.  I really like R's teacher!

Once we arrived at the zoo, we were told our leave time was 12:30 and then we were sent off to explore.   The girls and I decided to see the elephants first and we stumbled upon bath time.  There was a baby elephant that was very cute as well as big elephants getting treats as they were getting

washed.  I can't even remember everything we saw, but we walked A LOT.  We stopped for snacks a few times, and a couple of potty breaks, but we wanted to maximize our time at the zoo.  The Gorilla exhibit was closed for remodeling and we were bummed about not getting to see the gorillas.  The giraffes and ostriches were pretty neat as well as the other monkeys. 


Aunt Mo watched my other 3 for the day and she actually brought them to the zoo.  She has a membership, so I think she was able to get in for free and we met up with them near the Lion exhibit.  We walked around with them to see the tigers, cheetahs, puma, and cougar.  After that, my girls wanted to venture a different direction than Aunt Mo wanted to go.  We said our goodbyes, but it was cute to see them.  I know I won't be a stay-at-home mom forever, but I will wish I could chaperone all the kids' field trips without having to take a day off of work.  One of the benefits to being a SAHM. 




On the bus ride home, R sat with me and actually fell asleep while leaning against me.  All the kids were tired and Ms. Rodriguez said she was going to show a film to the kids after they at lunch back at school.  I gave R the option to just come home with me, but she wanted to stay at school with her friends.  That was fine by me.  I had a little time at home alone before Aunt Mo dropped the other kids off around 2:30.  All in all it was a fun day and I'm so thankful to have these opportunities with my kids while I stay at home. 



After a fun day at the zoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment