Sunday, April 15, 2012

Whirlwind Weekend

Bryce got the call that Grandpa Hantla wasn't doing very well and the decision was made to put him in Hospice Care.  Most of the family traveled to Edmond to be with Grandpa for his last days.  Being out in NC, it's harder for us to just pick up and travel.  We always have to make lots of plans for our traveling.  But on Wednesday after B talked to his siblings, we prayed and got a clear word from God that we needed to go out there.  We weren't quite sure who was actually going to go.  Should all 5 of us go?  Or just B and W?  What if we flew out there and he died right after we left.  We wouldn't be able to fly back for the funeral...Just a lot of uncertainty.

B and I both had a peace about the timing we believed God was in control.  We decided, after talking to MP, that we would both go and take W with us.  MP agreed to stay at our house and watch R & A for us over the weekend.  Our flight left Friday (March 16, 2012) at 6:55 am and we returned home Monday (March 19,2012) at 2:30 pm.  The tickets were expensive, but that's why we have a credit card I guess.  We flew southwest so there was no luggage fee, but the tickets were still expensive. 

Let me recap the trip:
Friday morning MP came over at 4am so B & I could get to the airport.  We left her the van for the weekend and she even agreed to take care of Cooper.  B & I flew from RDU to Chicago to OKC.  Vicki and Christopher picked us up and we met the rest of the family for lunch.  After lunch, we went to Grace Living Facility to visit Gpa.  He was lying in the bed breathing but that's about it.  The room was nice and roomy.  It's a good thing because there were a lot of us.  Both B's parents, all of Anna's family, Chris's family, and us.  Layla and W were crawling around on the floor (even though it was probably really dirty) and the big kids were watching them.  Vicki wanted everyone to sing hymns to Gpa so much of the time was spent trying to think of a song to sing.  Our visit lasted about 2 hours and then we headed home.  Since B and I had been up since 3am Eastern Time, we were exhausted.  So was little W.  Back at B's parents house, we fed W, bathed him, and put him to bed early.  After dinner, B & I decided to go back and visit Gpa alone to have some quiet time with him.  We thought about reading to him or just watching a movie, but after about an hour, we both were falling asleep.  After getting back home, we decided to go to bed instead of staying up and talking with the siblings like we usually do.
Around 4:30am I woke up because I heard noises and people talking.  I eventually woke B up and told him that something was happening and he needed to get up.  He talked to his parents and they decided to go back to Grace and be with Gpa.  I stayed to help Anna with the kids.  Paul, Vicki, Bryce and Paul Marsh left around 5:00am.  A little later I had a dream that Gpa passed away and it woke me up.  I text B to see if everything was okay and he called me back to let me know that Gpa was gone.  His official time of death was 5:30 and I sent B the text at 5:33.  Gpa kissed me on his way up:)
The rest of Saturday was mostly spent completing tasks like setting up arrangements, the obituary, ordering the casket, burial plans and letting family and friends know.  We had pancakes for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch.  Dinner plans at Teds was what Paul Marsh was looking forward to.  B loves to eat at Teds too and we always make a trip while in Edmond.  We finished the evening with a movie and of course, I fell asleep.
Sunday we did not make it to church, but rather had a relaxing morning at the house.  The Gibson's brought us lunch from Olive Garden and we had a nice visit.  After lunch Anna and her family had to leave to drive back to Katy, TX.  Anna had gone through all the old pictures of Gpa to put together a slide show.  She's really good at those sorts of things.  When W woke up from his afternoon nap, we took a little drive to Oklahoma City with Paul and Vicki.  On our way home, we stopped for a sweet treat and then headed home for bed.
Our flight was at 7:15am leaving OKC to Baltimore to RDU.  When we landed, we immediately went to pick up R&A.  We missed them so much!  It was so nice to be back and have our family back together again.  I do not like it when we are separated.  MP said R & A were good and they had a great time.
My day back to school on Tuesday was a little crazy.  I'm not usually absent, but when I am, I leave really really detailed plans.  I didn't have very good sub plans because we left in such short notice. My substitute teacher was a drama teacher so she was good at impromptu:)
Funeral plans were made for the following Saturday, March 24, 2012.  That would have been Grandpa Hantla's 95th birthday.  The ceremony will be in Kansas and he'll be buried next to Grandma Hantla.  Back together again.

 Uncle Mark and Mr. Paul at lunch
 Cousin Avery is so good with Wesley
 Gran and Papaw with the grand-kids waiting for a table at Ted's

 My love waiting for a table at Ted's.  He loves this place and doesn't get to eat Mexican very often.


 Aunt Mo and Micah decked out in their green! 

 Wes crawling around on the plan while we flew back to NC


Almost home!

No comments:

Post a Comment