Friday, August 31, 2012

Beach Trip 2012

Our sweet friends, Kristen and Vic, invited us to spend the weekend with them at their vacation beach-house in Topsail Island.  B and I have taken day trips, but never stayed with our family at a beach-house right on the beach.  I was starting school so we had to come back on Sunday, but we had a great time.  It took us almost 3 hours to get there and we followed the O'Janpa's out there stopping a few times for potty breaks.  We arrived around 3 pm Saturday and headed straight for the beach, since it wasn't time to check into the beach-house.  After playing for a while, we headed inside around 5ish and took showers so we could clean off.  Saturday night we headed over to the Caldwell's beach-house (about 11 miles down the road) for a cookout.  Their families picked the same week to vacation.  The cookout was fun and the food was yummy. 
This brings me to the thought about our own family vacations.  B grew up having vacations with his family and all sorts of different ones.  I grew up with vacations being centered around holidays and not really involing much sight seeing or new stuff.  My mom took me to a lot of soccer tournaments and sometimes those felt like mini-vacations because we stayed in hotels.  B and I want to have a family tradition of family vacations, separate from holiday travel.  We spend a lot of our saved money for holiday travel to MS, LA, TX, and OK.  We might not be able to budget for a family vacation every year, but at least every 2 years.  We will also have to alternate between the beach and the mountains.  I love the beach, especially when we can shower off right after we've been on the beach and B loves the mountains especailly when their is skiing involved.  We will have to compromise on that one.  I'm not sure when the ideal time to start family vacations is, since we've never really built it into our schedule, but I guess maybe when B's done with school and our kids are a bit older.  The idea of our family staying in a beach-house or mountain-house for 1 week, without work/school would be so nice....we're not really sure how this feels.  But then again, if B can only take 1 week off for vacation, I would (and I hope he would want it too) want him to use that week for Civitan Camp.  Just thoughts for our future....
So Saturday night we headed back to K/V's house and put the kids to bed and watched the Saints play the Texans.  I was just so excited to be able to see it since all the other pre-season games were not on 'normal' chanels.  I think it was after 11 pm before we went to bed.  Sunday consisted of pancakes by B, scripture reading by B, and then more beach time.  We were out on the beach most of the morning and then inside for showers and lunch.  After lunch we loaded up the kids so they could nap while B drove us home.  I got in a quick catnap too!  After arriving home, we still needed to go grocery shopping for the upcoming week, plus I needed to do a few last minute things to get ready for school.  I was glad we went though, even if for a short time.
We never took our camera out to the beach, but K/V took some pictures for us.  Here's a few to capture our time at the beach.
King of the mountain

B taking R & W out

Family :)


B, K, R, A, W

starting to build a pool

pool almost done

complete!

the kids' sand chair

W

No comments:

Post a Comment