Thursday, August 16, 2012

R's 4 year check up

R turned 4 last week, but her doctor and dentist appointments were this week.  She had a doctor appointment Monday and dentist visit on Wednesday.  I have a feeling that all my kids will go to the doctor and dentists in August before school starts back.  It makes sense in my mind. 

The doctor visit was fabulous until the very end that concluded with shots-four of them.  R passed all her other tests with flying colors.  The vision screening was a breeze and R new all the letters on the entire board.  To test her hearing, R had to wear ear phones and then tell the nurse when she heard a beep.  R would repeat the beep and even change her pitch to match that of the beep.  R weighed 38 almost 39 pounds and was either 46 or 48 inches tall (I can't remember).  Everything from her BMI to her joints, ears, and eyes were great.  Dr. S was on vacation, so we had a replacement doctor.  She was very nice and R told her all about her new bicycle she got for her birthday.  The doctor explained that R needed 4 shots between now and when she started school (next August).  B and I just decided to go ahead and get them done since we were already there...had I known how R was going to react, I would have waited. 

It was taking a long time and W was getting frustrated so B took both boys to the van to wait.  I stayed with R to get through her shots and check-out before getting lunch.  The nurse came in with the shots and R knew what was about to happen.  As Nurse LaLee was getting her first arm ready with the alcohol wipe, R freaked.  I mean she just freaked.  I had to hold both arms down and the nurse had to pin her legs against the bed.  After getting the first shot in, R started screaming "Stop, please stop, I don't want anymore" and crying uncontrollably.  It was unreal.  I've never seen R lose control like this.  She was trying her best to get free, but we wouldn't let her go.  The hardest two shots were the leg shots because R is stronger in her lower half.  I wish B had been in there instead of me.  It has horrible.  I guess I felt like if we had waited, R would have been able to handle herself better in the situation of fear.  That's what it was.  It wasn't the pain, it was the fear of the shot & pain.  R was overcome with this terrified fear and totally freaked out.  It's hard for me to even explain what it was like.  I hope I never have to witness that again from her.  I'm just glad it was over, and after she got a sticker from the receptionist, R was all better and excited about Chick-fil-a for lunch. 

I took R to the dentist with me on Wednesday.  I went first with my cleaning and R waited in a chair in the hallway.  Everyone complimented her on how well behaved she was, just sitting there.   When it was R's turn, she was super excited.  The hygienist first counted her teeth, then poked around in her mouth before polishing them.  After polish, Dr.Smith came in to the check her mouth out.  Her teeth looked great except for a tiny small spot of staining on the back of her top middle tooth.  We just need to do a better job of brushing her teeth and that spot will go away.  We are terrible about remembering to brush, so we started brushing while getting ready for a bath.  I also put brushing teeth on R and A's chore chart.  I know we are supposed to brush morning and night, but at this point, night is the only one I have a chance at remembering.  I'll shoot for morning next summer!

Rin is healthy and thriving.  She's a joy to all those around her and an awesome big sister.  We love you Catherine Elizabeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment