Monday, August 6, 2012

An awkward but necessary conversation ;)

Last week I had an awkward, but necessary with conversation with R about #1 and #2.  We have never used those names before, but I thought that it might be time to introduce those to her vocabulary.  Our normal words are just pee pee and poo poo.  So last week sometime, we were in the restroom somewhere (not at home) and R decided that she needed to poop.  Since we were in a public bathroom, I thought about how it would have been more appropriate to say #2.  I then tried to explain to R that pee pee was #1 and poo poo was #2.  I thought she understood until she said "except for when I poo poo first, then poo poo is #1 and then I go pee pee and that's #2".  I had a difficult time trying to get her to see that #1 and first aren't always the same thing.  Usually if you finish #1, then you finish first, but in this case, pee pee is always #1.  I can see how it was confusing because in her 3 year old mind, #2 means second.  And why not?  It's the second number when we count.  It's the second place finisher in the Olympics (and we watch a lot of Olympics right now).  When we order things,  #2 is always the second picture chronologically.  At first I wasn't going to blog about this, but when I shared the funny conversation with B, he said that I would want to remember this for a laugh in the future...he's probably right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment