Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Rin's 4th Birthday

It's hard for me to really get a grip that R is 4.  Since I didn't blog when she was first born, I'm going to recount her birth story as good as I can remember:)

August 7, 2008 was a Thursday and I had a doctor appointment for my 37 week check up at around 10 am.  B and I were both WCPSS teachers so we had the summers off together.  We were prepared to be sent to the hospital because I was already dilated 6cm.  I believe the reason I was so dilated was because we had been to Civitan Camp for youth week in July and I was still very active-working out at the gym daily and walking with B and Cooper every evening.  I'm not sure if labor and delivery is genetic but it's pretty close to how my mom was when she had both Bubba and myself.  She worked a full day, and then went to the doctor and was sent to the hospital after dilating 5cm.  So when Doctor Moody checked me, everything was good and normal.  I was still 6 cm dilated, but 100% effaced, so she sent me to the hospital. Dr. Chawla was on call and welcomed me at Rex.  By the time B and I made it over to Rex and got in a room, it was about 12:30pm.  We turned the Cosby Show on because I love the Cosby Show and knew it came on at 12 and again at 12:30.  Dr. Chawla broke my water at 12:30 and it was the strangest feeling ever.  It was like I pee'd a bunch on myself and it was warm and just overall yucky.  Everytime I had a contraction, more water would squirt out.  The plan was to give me a few hours and see how I progressed.  At 2:30, I was only like 7cm, so it was time to start pitocin. B and I had heard horror stories about pitocin and knew that it was something we wanted to avoid if possible.  I totally trust my doctors and knew that they were the professionals and followed their orders.  Once the pitocin started, my contractions changed like crazy.  They were much more intense, and close together.  It was crazy how things changed so quickly.  After another 2 hours, I was ready for the epidural....but unfortunately, I was dilated all the way and ready to push.  My nurse told me it was too late.  So I pushed and pushed and pushed.  I must have not been doing it correctly because I made no progress for the first hour and a half.  Finally I asked how long they would let me push before just cutting me open and the nurse said the limit for pushing was 3 hours....I was ready for a section right then and there.  But finally Dr. Jacokes came in and watched me push through one cycle and said I was doing it wrong.  She sat down with me and worked through a few cycles of pushing with me and our baby was delivered 30 minutes later.  I wish she had come a lot sooner!  I was very frustrated that I had been pushing so long but ineffectively.  Lots of women say that pushing comes naturally, but not for me.  I had no idea what I was doing and was very thankful that Dr. Jacokes worked with me.  She looked at the monitor and told me when to start and counted through and told me when to relax.  That's exactly what I needed.
So at 6:26 pm Rin was born.  She weighed 7 lbs and was 21.25 inches long.  She was a long skinny baby:)  We had a lot of visitors while in the hospital.  B/J Spence stayed with us the entire evening almost and J Caldwell came by.  The Foss's visited along with Lauria.  We loved having visitors and they kept coming after we got home too.  Everything else was a little blurry, but R hit her milestones in a normal range.  She crawled at 10 months and walked at 14 months (when A was born).

Let me fast forward to R at 4 years old and she's a lot like both me and B.  She's pretty tall for her age and skinny.  She's very verbal and loves to talk. She's tenderhearted and a wonderful big sister.  I see typical "first born" personality traits in her, like following the rules and being responsible. We go to the doctor next Monday for her 4 year wellness visit, so I'll have stats next week.  As for her birthday, let me post some picture from our fun.

Even though Rin's birthday is the 7th, we had our family celebration Monday night.  We let Rin pick dinner and instead of choosing chick-fil-a like I thought she would, she wanted cinnamon rolls for dinner.  Since she was the birthday girl, we had cinnamon rolls, bacon, and blue-berry muffins for dinner.  After dinner we let R open a few gifts.  We got her a bike (that was the big one) and A got her a 'brave doll'.  B's parents sent her a helmet, basket, bell, and streamers to go on her new bicycle.  We planned to go riding at Joyner park the following day and R was so excited!
About to open the gift from Gran and Papaw!

basket

helmet-safety first

doll from the movie Brave

cute
We started our day out at the doctor for W's 15 month check up and planned to visit Joyner so R could ride her new bike, but it was raining.  A quick change of plans landed us at Kidventurez. A while back, I purchased a groupon, so we were able to cash in on that deal.  The Gillam girls and O'Janpa ladies met us there.  The kids played for 3 hours with lunch in there somewhere.  Here are a few pictures from the morning.
Birthday Girl (4 years old)

Sweet Wesley (15 months)

Silly Abel (exactly 34 months)

Playing dress up

Friends



The gang
After Kidventurez, we headed home for naps and I had some cooking/baking to do.  We decided instead of a party, we would just have some friends over for dessert.  Kristen was making cupcakes and I also planned for brownies and oreo pie.  I was also going to bake cookies, but B told me we had enough dessert so I left those out.  Our guests would come at 6:30 so I got to cooking in the kitchen.  I accidently mistimed everything so when it was time to put our pizza casserole in for dinner, the oven was full and the food needed more time to bake.  I was about to panic, when B called Ms. Mary across the street and asked if we could use her oven.  She was so sweet to let us bake our dinner in her oven!  I was embarrassed that I had such horrible timing.  Anyways, our friends came over and we had a good time (at least I hope).  Here are some shots from R's birthday celebration :)
Rin with Aiden

Buddies

Most of the friends (minus Logan)
B and I are just so blessed by the friends that God has placed in our lives.  For a 3 turning 4 year old, of course R was interested in presents, but I constantly reminded her that's not the point of her birthday.  I almost wish she didn't have any gifts, but I know this is typical and normal for kids.  She went to a birthday party not but 2 weeks ago and saw the little girl opening gifts.  I know gifts aren't bad, but desiring material things is.  Our job as parents is to raise kids knowing Jesus and longing to be like him.  I do not believe Jesus would have wanted more presents on his birthday than the 3 he received.  R actually brought that up to me one time when we were having the "gifts are not important discussion".  She said, but Jesus got three gifts on his birthday....and she's right...but we use that logic for Christmas presents.  I guess we will have to think of something else for birthdays....R's a smart chica! 

 
"Happy Birthday Rin"

No comments:

Post a Comment