Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Let's go Choctaws!

It's been about 7 years since I've been able to play in the MC Alumni game.  I definitely didn't play in 2008 when Rin was born and I don't remember if I came back for the 2007 one either.  Now that we are in Houston, we agreed that it would be fun to go back to MC for the weekend.  The game was on Saturday the 23rd which was the weekend before school started.  We left Thursday after B got off work and drove to Hattiesburg.  It was really late when we arrived at my mom's house so we just let the kids crash on the sofas.  Friday morning we ate breakfast with the family and just had a relaxing morning.

I think we left around 10:00 and headed north to Clinton.  It's been a long time since we've been on MC's campus and we were excited to show our kids where we met, went to college, and got married.  R was especially excited about that.
Provine Chapel

We at lunch at El Sombrero then toured MC for a bit.  We ran into Dr. Randle while in the English building and also saw Coach Longabaugh when we went to the soccer field.  It was hot while we walked around, but overall a good visit.  We were staying with Erin and Steve for the weekend and their 3 kids (June, Holland, and Wyatt).  Our dinner plans were centered around Ashley because she was moving into MC on Saturday.  B wanted to go to Keifer's in Jackson (where we had our rehearsal dinner) and Ashley met us there with her mom, Ryan and Emma.  My mom and Chuck were with us also.  Dinner was nice and I enjoyed catching up with Ashley and Deenie.  Ryan sat on the other end with A & W.  
Dinner Group at Keife's

cousins
After dinner we headed back to E/S's house.  The boys were going to sleep with Gram/Granddad at the hotel to make things a little easier.  After we put all the kids to bed, the 4 of us adults stayed up 'til midnight just talking.  Steve is a high school English teacher and soccer coach so we have lots to talk about.

Saturday we ate breakfast at Ren's house then headed to the field.  We got there right at 9 as the game was about to start.  I just grabbed a uniform (didn't even look at the numbers) and ran on the field.  I didn't even have shinguards on either.  I wasn't in the starting line up so it didn't really matter.  I was so excited to see Meredith and Danae.  We've been chatting back and forth about this weekend for a while and I hadn't seen them in years.  Jen Ben and Kirby were also there as well as Bethany Harris. Bethany had her new baby girl (7 weeks old) with her and of course, I got baby fever again.  Good thing we can't have anymore kids or I'd be pregnant!  So not much to report about the game except for we lost.  I played about 30 minutes total and got blisters on my big toes! 
#28

half time

post game picture

oldies but goodies

with Coach Longabaugh

We lost 10-1 and our goals (by Kirby) came when we had 13 players on the field.  We were so old and out of shape...there was not question after about the first 15 minutes how this game was going to end up.  It was fun though and the kids had fun too.  While I was on the field, B would get them cheering for me.  It was sweet to hear their little voices cheering for mommy...my biggest fans.  Once the game was over, we were all hungry so we went for lunch at McAlister's Deli (one of my favs).  I guess a lot of people had that idea because it was very busy.   Since we were all sweaty from being out in the sun for over 2 hours, we thought it would be nice for a swim in the pool hotel.  The kids are always up for swimming and I was looking forward to cooling off too.  Trying to get rests in for the day was interesting.  We had no pack-n-play at the hotel so after trying to get E to lay down, I just took her to the lobby so she could wonder around.  No reason to keep her in the room all fussy and stuff.  Everyone else got a little nap though.  Our dinner plans consisted of a cookout at E/S's house.  We pitched in drinks and cookies and they had the meet and chips.  My parents came and so did Megan Tubman with her twins (Riley and Sydney).  Tubby didn't come to the game but it was nice to visit with her for a short bit.
Hantla Clan plus Taylor Tots
 After dinner Mer, Danae, and Coach Carter stopped by and we had a blast just talking and reminiscing.  Coach Carter is hilarious anyways, but she's the best at retelling funny stories. We even shared with my parents the story of a few of us girls sneaking out of our hotel on an away trip to the Ozarks and going into this country bar...my memory is a little blurry about this one, but Coach Carter brought me to tears.

Sunday morning we got on the road after some cereal.  I was so glad that we made the trip and I had such a great time seeing old friends.  It reminded me of how special MC really is.  It's a wonderful school and Ashley will love it there.  The opportunity to attend a Christian college with small classes and professors who actually know who you are is amazing.  I know people love their big schools with 300 people in a class with a professor who doesn't even know if you are there, but that's not for me.  God's plan for me to attend MC and meet all these awesome people was his Perfect Plan...silly me thought I wanted to go to Clemson University.  I'm glad God worked it out and it's just a reminder of
Romans 8:28
28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment