Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Civitan Camp 2017

I've been so bad about blogging and I think it might be hard for me to capture all of the details from Civitan Camp since it's 6 months out.  This year's theme was Under the Big Top - The Greatest Camp on Earth.  A circus theme is really fun and easy to decorate and make crafts & activities.   

For Youth week, B was at the pool and I was an area mom at Native Village.  Gloria was actually sick so it was just the two of us, but we managed and had a wonderful time.  All four kids joined us this year and they all had a blast.  The boys traveled with Tall Timbers and the girls traveled with Paradise Lost.  After night activity, we always had something planned back in the area like S'Mores or popcorn or cookies.  Keeping the campers happy is the name of the game and when we keep our campers happy, our teenage boys were happy as well.
Our home away from home

kids with Nana & Tata


my sweet Ian

Our newest Villager


Silly Josh

My boys loved playing with Rope

Some Native Village guys

I heart Matthew Glaze

Peyton is the life of the party

Selfie with Tata


Great grands with Grandmalupe
The week was so much fun and I'm so thankful we get to be part of such a special event.  I was asked to stay for adult week and since I didn't have school/work, the kids and I ended up staying.  B drove back to Houston because he was starting his new job at UHD so he couldn't stay another week. 





Swimming with my boys

I got some special time with Eli

Every night I filled out a medical report and Matthew liked to help me


playing Spot It with the guys






For Adult week, I was an area mom in Dogwood with Susan.  I haven't been to adult week in many years but I actually knew a lot of the adults because they attended youth week in the past.  One of my all time favs, Clayton, was there and I got to see him everyday.  I helped out with drama for 2 periods everyday and cleaned the area during the other times.  E & R went around with Mallory and the boys had 2 different boy counselors.  During adult week, both campers and staff children get to pick their schedule so the girls and boys had different activities each day.  The boys mostly picked the water activities like swimming and boating.  The girls went to drama and spa plus swimming and arts and crafts.  Adult week has such a different feeling than youth week.  It's way more laid back and easy going.  There aren't any "ploppers" along the road and there are not fits in the cafeteria because someone doesn't want to eat their food.  I feel so fortunate that I got to stay and help out during adult week and if they asked me to do it again, I would certainly say yes. 
Seeing TJ after many years was so fun

Steven loved my kids and USM


My swimming buddy

Clayton my love!









Dogwood won the Abbie Award for Adult week



After adult week, I went back to Hattiesburg for dinner and rest before driving to meet B somewhere between Houston and Hattiesburg.  We ended up meeting just before the LONG bridge between Baton Rouge and Lafayette.  It was so good to be back with him after a long week apart and barely any talking.  He had had a good first week of work and without the distraction of us at home, it was probably easier for him to focus on his new job.  The kids loved being at camp for another week, because what little kid wouldn't love being at summer camp???  And I loved being at camp to serve others and build relationships.  We even made it into the local newspaper in Mississippi here.

No comments:

Post a Comment