Monday, January 2, 2012

Automobiles are Expensive!

We have 2 cars at the moment.  A 2001 Toyota Camry that I got when I graduated from college and a 2005 Honday Odyssey that we bough from the Marsh family one year ago.  We've enjoyed both cars, but mainly drive the van right now.  We have driven the Camry but it's harder to fit all 3 kids in the back with carseats.

Back in October, we took the Camry to get it's inspection done, and we needed new wipers and 2 new tires.  So $325 later, the Camry passed inspection.  Bryce took out a Firestone Credit card instead of putting it on our regular credit card, because they were running a special of no interest for 6 months.  We have gotten to a point where we started using our credit card because we had gone through all our savings (Sept-Nov 2011).  Cherry (the van) was in need of an oil change, so today, I took Cherry to the new Firestone in Wake Forest, just for an oil change.  We got there around 9am and I should have been out by 9:30.  That was a good thing because I was meeting mommy friends at the mall for a playdate.  Anyways, after finishing the oil change before paying, the guy told me that there were a few things that needed to be done, and quickly because it wasn't safe for me to be driving.  One was the brake fluid was bad, along with all 4 tires worn down, but nails in 2 of them...we needed new coolant, a transmission flush, and another 2 or 3 things...I felt overwhelmed.  I told them I'd have to talk to my husband because I didn't make those types of decisions.  So B met us up there and now $989 later, we have 4 new tires, an oil change, and brake-fluid.  That's a total of $1414 in just 3 months in car maintenance & repairs.  If we had an emergency fund or 3-6 months of salary saved, then this wouldn't be that big of a deal.  But since we've been in debt with credit cards recently, it's just frustrating.  What is God trying to teach me? 

Here's an update on B's job situation:  He wrote the chair back at DTCC, and she said that changing the class times would be impossible since students have already registered, but that she would check to see if there might be another teacher willing to switch with B.  If so, the other guy/gal would take the 2 classes and B would take their classes.  We are praying for God's will and a grateful attitude for the opportunities.  If the DTCC classes don't work, then B will stay at AJE.  If they do work, then great and to God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment