Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Back to the Grind

2 down...2 more to go.  This week is only a 4 day week at school and I've completed 2 of them.  Only 2 more now!  Having a 4 day week is nice to get back in the hang of things.  Christmas break was nice and so was sleeping in, but now my alarm beeps at 5 am again.

I returned to work Tuesday to see more of my students wearing new clothes and new shoes.  I heard many of their stories over Christmas and New Years.  A common theme was all about what they got for Christmas.  Since I teach mostly 7th graders, they are around 13, and very into electronics.  I heard about lots of iPads, iPhones, laptops, game systems, and money.  My thought throughout the day was "How can I make sure my kids don't sound like this when they are in middle school".  I finally asked a girl who was complaining about the amount of gifts she received if she knew the real reason we celebrated Christmas.  Another student in that class responded "It's about giving".  I thought to myself, well, why that's great and all, no, that's not the reason we celebrate Christmas.  As the day went on, I felt myself getting more frustrated with how selfish and materialistic my students are.  What can I really do about it?  How can I change or influence them?  I'm not sure of the answer, but I'll do what I can.

As a parent, it is my job to raise my children with the knowledge of the real reason for the season.  B and I have tried to do that and this year, we didn't even have any 'Santa' presents.  We did not do it on purpose, it just sort of happened and our kids are young enough, they really didn't know.  I'm not sure if we'll get away with that next year or not!  But like I said, it's very important to make sure our children know why we celebrate Christmas..  I would love for my children to share about their faith no matter what their age.  Trying to fast forward 10 years into the future is difficult, but to think if R is like that when she is 13, I would feel as if I failed as a parent.  B and I don't make a ton of money so their presents will be modest.  Our rule is no more than 3 anyways so between us and Santa, each kid will get at most 3 gifts.  R knows the reason behind the 3 gifts so we'll have to teach A next year. 

Being back to work has been nice.  I missed my students and my co-workers.  I'm trying to start a prayer group in the mornings at school.  Our first meeting is this Friday at 6:45am.  I'm not sure who will come, but I'm optimistic.  Whoever does come, at least it will be meaningful.  God really placed this on my heart that I needed to reach out to my school and my co-workers.  I have a few that I'm very close to that I know are not believers so I wanted to be a good witness for them.  What better way than to start a prayer group and cover our school in prayer.  God will move-I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment