Saturday, January 7, 2012

Did he just say that?

We had to take A to the doctor Thursday afternoon.  His temperature was about 100.6, but he was coughing, congested, and definitely not himself.  Thursday morning when we woke him up, we noticed he was warm and B decided that A would just stay home with him.  However, MP said that A was fine to stay with her so we left him.  After picking him up, we saw that he was worse and when I tried to put his hat on, that's when I noticed him sensitive to his ears.  I called the doctor's office to set up an appointment for Friday morning but they said they could squeeze us in if we hurried.  So all 5 of us trucked it over to the doctor and checked A in.  After looking at A for a few minutes, the doctor confirmed an ear infection in his left ear.  This is the first time we've had an ear infection in our family, but at least we knew what it was and it wasn't anything too serious.  Since ear infections aren't contagious, we felt better about him going to daycare.  What we didn't expect to hear was the doctor tell us to not give him any medicine and let it heal on it's own.  I thought most other people had medicine for ear infections, so I was ready for a prescription; but did not get that answer.  He said that ear infections are viral and many doctors prescribe an antibiotic to just treat the patient since that is what the parents are looking for.  We greatly appreciated him expressing this to us, because B and I would rather not medicate if possible.  We aren't against medicine, but we also know that over-medicating our kids will not allow their immune system to strengthen.  B and I typically don't take medicine when we are sick, and honestly, we do not get sick all that much.  Just before Christmas, I came down with a cold turned sinus infection and then B got the same thing.  Neither of us took anything, and it went away.  We may have gotten better quicker had we taken some medicine or gone to the doctor, but we just don't think that way.  I know my mentality is to just push through it.  I believe we will be those parents also.

What are those parents?  Those parents that send their kids to school even when they are sick.  Those parents that make their kids work, play, or perform, even when they are sick.  Those parents that tell their kids to suck it up and get over it when they are sick.  Yep, we are those parents.  R, A, &W are out of luck.  Not only are we teachers, we are the kind of parents that will make them go to school, even if they don't feel like it.  They will either have the stomach bug, a really high fever, or major uncontrollable diarrhea in order to miss school.  I guess there is a chance that we will change, but that's how we feel right now.  Ask me when the last time I took a sick day because I was really sick and maternity leave doesn't count?  So far I have not!  Ask me the last time B didn't work because he was sick.  I actually know that answer-March of 2008.  B got the flu and missed 2 days of school.   Since then we have both gotten colds, sinus infections, and even the 24 hour stomach bug in 2010.  I'm not trying to brag or boast that we are so tough.  It's actually probably more of a fault, but it's how we are and we'll end up raising our children this way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment